Friday, February 27, 2009

Neko Case. Blast Off.

She seems like the reluctant star who is about to take off with the latest album coming out March 3rd.

Paste: 17 Things I Love, By Neko Case
Her numbers 1 through 5 would be on my list too, but not in the same order.

NYT Mag: Wild Thing
For the last five years, Case has lived in a middle-class, one-story-house neighborhood of Tucson, not far from the city’s center. But this spring she’ll move to an old farm she bought and is now renovating in northern Vermont. “I want to get away from the social vampires in Tucson,” she says. “The people who have no lives of their own and meet me and know who I am and feel entitled to say negative things. I have good friends here, especially in the bands” like Calexico and Giant Sand. Members of these bands and others have often appeared on her CDs. “But a lot of it is just like high school. And I like forests and all the wildlife up in Vermont.” It’s hard to imagine what these acts of social vampirism might consist of, but she prefers to leave them unspecified. She also asks that the Vermont town’s name not be mentioned. “I’ve had stalkers,” she says. Alexandria, Tacoma, Vancouver, Chicago, Tucson and, next, Vermont. Case hopes that her new community will prove to be her permanent home. You wonder.


One of many reviews: Neko Case spins alt-country tunes into "Cyclone"

MJ: Ramblin' Woman Neko Case