Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rescuing Huskies

A husky can be a great dog but do not get one unless you can give it one hour of exercise every day, and a lot more at least once a week. Although I have never been a fan of pure breed dogs and like the husky-shepherd mix best of all.

But it is sad when people buy a puppy expecting one thing and then are confronted by reality.

See: AdoptAHusky.com

Via MLive: Too many Siberian huskies end up in shelters
I will confess that for years, I have harbored a secret fantasy about owning a Siberian husky. Granted, I'm a romantic. I love their look, their spirit, their sense of adventure. I figured owning one would bring out my Jack London rather than my Elmer Fudd.

But the fact that I don't have one is finally OK. My visit with the Michigan Dog Drivers Association last weekend affirmed what I also secretly knew. Anyone can wish for one. But it takes a special person to own one and do it well.